Like Us on Facebook
The Upper Valley Lake Sunapee Regional Planning Commission (UVLSRPC) is seeking a full-time Executive Director to lead our dynamic staff. The UVLSRPC is an association of 27 cities and towns in western New Hampshire, and is one of nine Regional Planning Commissions (RPC) in New Hampshire enabled through state legislation (RSA 36:45).
This position requires a professional who is not only an effective manager, but has a strong command of diverse planning issues at the local, state and national levels and is skilled in the practical application of planning principles. On a day-to-day basis, the Executive Director of the UVLSRPC can serve many roles including manager, administrator, planner, facilitator, advocate, and consensus-builder. While this is a high-profile position with significant expectations, the UVLSRPC’s next Executive Director will have a unique career opportunity to improve the region’s landscape, economic vitality, and quality of life.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in urban or regional planning, business, public administration, or related field and ten years of progressively responsible supervisory experience.
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) status is preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties and responsibilities are not all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned as necessary by the UVLSRPC Executive Committee.
- Serve as the chief administrative and executive officer of the UVLSRPC with responsibility for the general oversight of the agency including organizational structure, human resources, financial management, and implementation of policies and programs.
- Manage the UVLSRPC’s day-to-day operations, programs, and services in accordance with enabling legislation, organizational governing documents and policies, and grant requirements.
- Develop, administer, and implement the UVLSRPC’s annual work plan and budget. (The UVLSRPC’s total budget for FY 2017 is approximately $977,000).
- Maintain sound internal financial controls consistent with federal and state protocols, and monitor staff work load and project execution in the context of contractual obligations.
- Build coalitions with municipalities and partner agencies to achieve regional goals that enhance the UVLSRPC’s leadership on key issues important to the region’s communities.
- Provide staffing support to the UVLSRPC Full Commission, Executive Committee, Finance Committee, and Personnel Committee.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of new planning projects and programs that address the unique needs of the 27 municipalities in the UVLSRPC’s region.
- Represent the UVLSRPC on local, regional, and statewide boards and committees.
- Serve as the final reviewer of all planning-related products produced by the UVLSRPC staff.
- Present the UVLSRPC’s work at regional, statewide, and national conferences.
- Represent the UVLSRPC in the media and with state and federal partner agencies.
- Ability to speak effectively in public settings and give public presentations.
- Ability to facilitate meetings, participate effectively in meetings, and build consensus amongst diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to motivate public and private sector leaders to address the challenges facing the region.
- Ability to cooperate with staff, volunteers, the general public, and elected officials at all levels of government.
- Ability to instruct staff in the practical application of planning principles.
- Ability to foster the professional development of a planning staff with wide-ranging skill sets, styles, and levels of responsibility.
- Ability to work independently, meet frequent deadlines, and administer multiple projects simultaneously.
- This position requires a current, valid driver’s license and frequent evening meetings.
- A criminal background check will be required if a candidate is selected as a finalist for the position.
- A credit check will be required if a candidate is selected as a finalist for the position.
Salary and Benefits:
Starting salary range of $72,000 to $82,000 commensurate with experience. The UVLSRPC offers excellent health and dental insurance benefits, and an employer-matched 457(b) retirement plan.
Applying for the Position:
Persons interested in applying for the position should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references by 5:00 PM on August 12, 2016 to:
Mr. Steve Schneider, Chair
UVLSRPC Executive Director Search
10 Water Street, Suite 225
Lebanon, NH 03766
The Upper Valley Lake Sunapee Regional Planning Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer.