Food Scrap Diversion and Composting coreylogo.jpg



Enfield Village School

Photo courtesy of Enfield Village School, 2023.


Home Composting Workshop


Best practices for home composting. Learn which bin system works in your home. What materials can and can’t be composted. And more. Already composting? Bring your questions.


Bonus gift! In person attendees will receive a free bucket or compost bin of your choice to take home while supplies last.

Saturday, September 16, 9-11am

Enfield Public Works Facility, 74 Lockehaven Road


Friday, September 29, 9-11am

New London Whipple Hall, (with Virtual Option), 25 Seamans Rd

Saturday, September 30, 9-11am


Cornish Former Store (with Virtual Option), 226 Route 120


Orford Workshop Coming Soon!


REGISTER for New London Virtual or Cornish Virtual

For those event with a Virtual option, those registrants will be able to view the presentation, ask questions, and receive a recording. In-person, no registration required.


More Home Composting Workshops Coming Soon!

Keep informed on this page. To host a workshop for residents or community compost leaders, contact Olivia




Billions of tons of food are discarded every year in the United States. Only 4% of that waste is estimated to end up back in our productive soils through the process of composting. The remaining 96% of food scraps end up in our every day trash that goes to the land fill. There, it makes up nearly a quarter of discarded materials.



We seek to advance and support efforts that reduce food scrap in our landfills through composting and other methods. Our main efforts include:


  • Support municipalities, schools, and households to identify and implement strategies.
  • Built around network and relationship - seeking to identify opportunity and create connections across people and organizations.
  • Facilitate visioning, planning, and/or material purchase.
  • Provides (or collaborates on) education in technical and scientific aspects, as well as the social dynamics of eliminating food waste and managing a compost in community or with neighbors.
  • Works closely with partners to bring the people and resources needed to move goals forward.


Many residents across the region enjoy shopping carefully to minimize waste, and composting at home or in community. This program seeks to expand these efforts. 

  • Provide education on-site and virtually at libraries, gardens, farmers markets, and more.
  • Share the “how and why” of food scrap diversion.
  • Support both individual household, and multi-household efforts.
  • Provide material support, as able.


Every school program is unique.

  • Assist public schools to develop, sustain, or re-invigorate food scrap diversion. 
  • Visit on site (or virtually) to support visioning, student education, or evaluate on/off-site options. 
  • Provide trainings for administrators, kitchen and custodial staff, and teachers.
  • Support the purchase of needed materials.


We support municipalities in understanding and addressing the problem of food scraps sent to landfill.

  • Provide community specific technical assistance.
  • Help to assess the scale of the challenge and identify municipal strategies.
  • Support financial evaluation.
  • Support residential outreach and building partnerships.
  • Organize training on collection, composting, and State regulations.
  • Assist in developing and implementing pilot programs. 





Information on the basics for households and community scale diversion :


Videos from the 2021 school training  on our YouTube channel.


Videos and additional resources on visioning, management, education, and more can be found in our School Resource Manual - Table of Contents.


Need Help finding something here? Don't hesitate to contact us.


Tip Sheet series on Municipal food scrap diversion and management :




Use any of the fields below to search for the Projects and Programs that you are interested in.