Subscribe to our bulletin
Privacy by SafeSubscribe

f_logo_RGB-Blue_72.png        Instagram_Glyph_Gradient.png

Follow Us on Social Media!


Federal  Resources for Rural Communities -

Partnership  for Sustainable Communities

This guide, to HUD, DOT, EPA, and USDA programs, provides information about federal funding and technical assistance opportunities  available to rural communities for the promotion of economic competitiveness, protection of  healthy environments, and the enhancement of quality of life for their residents.It includes examples of how rural communities across the country have put these programs into action. This guide is organized by agency but is  not all inclusive and the programs listed may change. For current  information, visit the Partnership for Sustainable Communities’ website, 

Resources for New Hampshire Communities-  

The Community Development Block Grant program helps strengthen cities, towns, and villages throughout the nation. Authorized in 1974 by an act of Congress, the program grants states and local communities funds, through the Department of Housing and Urban Development, to provide housing and create jobs primarily for low and moderate income residents.Certain New Hampshire municipalities, counties and non-profit agencies,as a sub-recipient, can apply for these monies and use them to improve their communities. Millions of dollars in funding are available for: Economic Development,Housing,Public Facilities, Emergencies and Unanticipated Events, and Feasibility Studies.

The New Hampshire Local Government Center  is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to "strengthen the quality of its member governments and the ability of their officials and employees to serve the public." It operates as a resource for local governments by providing programs and services which foster thriving communities. Grant funding for New Hampshire municipalities, schools and county governments may be availalble.A listing of current grants opportunities  may be found at

The New Hampshire Charitable Foundation is a community foundation which uses investments from multiple sources to create opportunities for "strong, just, and resilient communities" where health care, food, housing  and other fundamental services are available to all.  The Foundation also provides support for organizations and individuals who promote education, environmental protection, preservation of historical and cultural community assets and equality of economic opportunities.For information about current grant  opportunities  check at

The New Hampshire Department of Transportation offers grants for a variety of  projects: 

The New Hampshire Office of Energy and Planning offers grants as well.

  • The Municipal Energy Reduction Fund is meant to help municipalities to improve the energy efficiency of their mnicipal buildings, lighting, water and sewer treatment facilities and, in some cases, electrical distribution systems. This funding is through the Community Development Finance Authority(CDFA) and is intended to reduce energy use and costs.For more informtion check CDFA's web site.
  • The New Hampshire Community Planning Grant Program is offered to aid NH communities with their work on land use regulations. For current information click here.

The New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services offers:

  • The Aquatic Resource Mitigation Fund Program.This annual grant progam is intended to provide long-term protection of restored or enhanced wetlands. The determining factors of project funding approval are:
    • likelihood of project successsustainability of the wetland functions
    • values  proposed for restoration, enhancement, preservation or creation
    • overall mitigation potential
    • environmental significance of the project
    • project cost-effectivness and partnership potential
    • For more information and deadlines for applying click here
  • Brownfield Coalition Assessment Grant provides brownfield assessment and cleanup planning assistance for municipalities, quasi-governmental agencies and non-profit organizations within Grafton County but may also be available for other communities with similar socioeconomic characteristics. The assessment includes site identification and inverntory services. Contact H. Keith DuBois at the Hazardous Waste Remediation Bureau for more information.
  • Clean School Bus Program, which ends June 1, 2013, supplies public  or private school bus operators with funds for retrofits intended to eliminate the need to idle or capture some of the harmful components in diesel exhaust. The form, School Bus Retrofit Fleet Data Form, should be sent by e-mail to Felice Janelle, Mobile Sources Supervisor NHDES Air Resources, Technical Services Bureau prior to the deadline date.
  • Public Water System Grants include three categories for funding:
    • Surface Water Treatment Grants provide 20% funding for design and construction of improvement s that have been required to comply with the surface water treatment rules of the Federal Saef Drinking Water Act of 1986 and Env-Ws 380, but municipalities may qualify for 30% funding if their rates are at least 20 percent above the state average.
    • Groundwater Investigation Grants offer 25% reimbursement of costs for investigating wells with detectable levels of man-made contaminants, excluding MTBE.
    • Regional Water System Grants offer 25% reimbursement of costs for planning, design and construction of piping, pumping and source improvements associated with interconnection of two or more public water systems.
    • The application and instructions for filling it out are the same for each of the three grant progams  and further information is available through Richard Skarinka.
  • Water Supply Land Protection Grant Program provides 25% funding to municipalities and non-profit organizations, whose mission ts to conserve land and water supplies, toward buying land(from a willing seller) and keeping it undeveloped with the remaining 75% provided by the municipality or other local sources. For more information  on deadlines, forms and possible funding for the matching fund requirement click here
  • Local Source Water Protection Grantsare intended to assist water suppliers, municipalities and other  local organizations in protecting drinking water sources.Funded projects include:
    • delineation of wellhead  protection areas
    • inventorying potential contamination sources
    • development of local protection ordinances
    • groundwater reclassification
    • drinking water education and  outreach activities
    • controlling access to sources
    • deadline has been extended to Nov. 6, 2013 (8:00 a.m.)
    • For more infromation contact Johnna Mckenna.
  • Control Grants for Exotic Species are available to lake associations and municipalities to assist in sontrol and treatment of exotic aquatic weeds.The deadlines for each phase of the process are:
    • By Sept. 15th of each year the completed application form must be submitted to DES
    • By Oct. 15th of each year the bids and quotes must be submitted for review by the DES
    • On Nov. 30th of each year  the Grant recipients are announced.
    • Additional information is included in the Control Grant Application Packet
    • Contact Amy Smagula for further details.
  • Millfoil and Othe Exotic Plant Prevention Grants are  meant to suppport the creation of prevention strategies  through outreach, education, Lake Host Programs and other activities.For more information contact Amy Smagula.Click here for the application form.
  • Household Hazardous Waste(HHW) Collection Grants cover up to 50% of the collection costs for communities who,through educational outreach information and activities, work toward reducing  HHW. The DES is available provide guidance on how to meet the educational component of the grant.For more information click here.
  • Solid Waste Grantsfor the closure of unlined landfills and incinerators reimburse 20% of eligible capital costs. Among the  municipal costs covered by the grant are: 
    • hydrogeological elements
    • engineering investigation and design
    • qualifying construction of closure elements
    • construction supervision
    • Separate applications are required for landfill closures and incinerators.
    • for more information contact Laura Filiau.
  • Sewage Disposal Facility funds are offered through the State Aid Grant Program(SAG) .Twenty percent reimbursement of eligible planning, design and construction of certain sewage disposal facility costs for municipalities is available, but funds are not disbursed until after project completion and final cost elibility is determined. Minimum requirements and use of prequalified consulting engineers are needed for initial approval of funding.
    • Additional funding for expanding, upgrading or development of  new wastewater treatment facilities may be available through SAG Plus.
    • The State Revolving Loan Fund Program is intended to assist municipalities with costs associated with design and construction of eligible wastewater projects and unlined landfill closure projects. The main differences between the loan and the grant program  are that the loan disburses the funds as eligible costs are incurred and require solicitation of minority and women's businesses participation.

Use any of the fields below to search for the Projects and Programs that you are interested in.